Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas is coming 8 December 2010

Hello my dear family!!!

Sounds like christmas is on its way for you all!! Here it is not too much of a big thing, but we will be doing something with the missionaries and with the ward. With a lot of muslims living here, not many people celebrate the birth of Christ. They know what it is, but the big holiday is new years. That is when everyone does presents and things. But anyways, im glad to hear that everyone is staying safe and keeping busy. Sounds like you all had a lot of fun at your parties. Man, you are just the party people!! Anyways, lets think....this past week has been a good one. It snowed and got super super cold. But now it has warmed up a little bit and the snow is all mushy and nasty brown and black. But it was pretty for a day! On sunday when we walked to church is was so so cold!!! I think it was about -5 F. can you believe that! pretty crazy. Im nervous for january and feb. I heard those months are the coldest. Ill have to let you know. I am just very grateful at this time of year to have a warm apt. and to have warm clothes. I can't imagine living without them.

Anyways, our investigators are moving along well. We met with a few new people this week and so that has been good. President just emailed me and told me that there is a woman that lives quite a ways from almaty, but she communicates with a member in america. And she loves to read the liahona. So, we are going to get a hold of her and see if we can make some visits out to see her. I am very excited.

The other day one of our investigators brought her friend who was interested in english, and also in arguing about religion. He is very very serious about his religion, but after our english section, we felt impressed to share with him the restoration of the gospel, even though we felt like he would want to argue with us. It was kinda funny, because my companion, she is usually pretty straight forward anyways, but she said at the beginning of our lesson, "ok, so we want to share with you this message, but I have a feeling that you will want to argue with us. So if you could just not argue with us and listen and nicely discuss this" He agreed to the conditions, but he argued with us anyways throughout the lesson. Usually when we teach women they don't argue with us like that, so it was a little different and I didn't really know how to handle what he said or how to answer his questions. But, throughout the lesson I felt very very strongly that the church is true. And it just broke my heart that he wouldn't accept our message. Like many people in this world, I think he is searching for a sign. He thought it was silly that we prayed about the book of mormon and received answers, and he wanted us to prove to him everything we were saying through the bible. He said he reads the bible and believes in it and loves it, and that is all he needs. We tried to explain to him that these things can not be proven by science, but they are answers that you can only receive through the holy ghost. I went home kinda upset that night, thinking why am I hear struggling to share the gospel and share my testimony in a different language, and people don't even listen and don't even care to open their hearts. I just prayed that night that somehow and at sometime his heart would be opened and that he will accept the gospel and all the blessings and happiness that come with it. And then last night we had a lesson with a woman and I tried to share the message of the restoration with her. And the whole time she was just correcting my russian. I started to get kinda frustrated and thought come on people! Im sharing a message with you and your not even listening!!! Its ok, Im good about it now. It is just the ups and downs that come along with missionary work. Despite that, I know that this church is true, even if people don't listen to us and think at times that we are silly for believing what we do. Im sorry for being not so positive in this little section, but I just wanted to share with you an experience that I had, and even though it was tough in the moment, it really strengthened my testimony.

I have to tell you that here, all the babies and young children have the biggest, chunkiest, and cutest cheeks and faces that I have seen in my entire life!!!! its awesome!!! I just want to squeeze them! ok enough of that.
Thank you mom for the articles, i have not read them yet but I am excited. Well, I love you all and wish you all the best during this wonderful holiday season. May you always remember the real reason we celebrate christmas. And may you feel the love and peace that comes from the love of our Heavenly Father and Savior. I am so very grateful that our loving Heavenly Father gave us His son, and I am grateful that our Savior loved us enough to atone for all of our sins, shortcomings, weaknesses, mistakes. The atonement is for EVERYONE!! And this christmas I am so very grateful for it. I love you all! Have a wonderful december week! until next week!!!
All my love!! hugs and kisses!
Sister Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment