Sunday, October 3, 2010

hello..it's me!! 22 September 2010

Dear Family,
Im glad to hear that everyone is doing pretty well this week and had a good time at work and school and church and things. First I need to say thank you to grandma and grandpa for the letter that i got in the mail. It is always fun to hear about how things are going for you down in kanab. And mom, no i did not receive a package yet? what is it for?! Thank you dallin for you email. its always good to hear from you. and its always cool to get some thing in hand. Congrats ashley on the brand new baby! And i am sad to hear that noelle is not feeling well. What is her deal with getting that strep throat? i remember she has had it quite a lot. But noelle, know that I am praying for you and I hope you get better very soon! i love you and stay healthy and strong! And that stinks about the football game and that the QB is out for the WHOLE year! pretty crazy...and im pretty much positive it is because i am not there to watch and be the byu football teams good luck charm. haha.
So saturday was another baptism here. It went very well but at first it was a little ordeal. Whoever fills up the font forgot to fill it up, and so we all arrived here and there was no water. And it would take two hours to fill, and be freezing cold water. So we just started filling it, and then got a bunch of buckets and started filling it with hot water from the kitchen. and when the hot water ran out, we started boiling water and pouring that in. In the end, it still took forever to fill the font. And i saw the scariest and biggest spider I have ever seen. with it's legs and all it is like the size of my palm. Elder lowry told me it was a "hoe boe" and a really really poisonous spider. So i just let him kill that one for me. And the poor little babooshka got baptized in really cold water. But it ended up being great and she was very happy. You could see it in her face.
Another little fun experience this week is that one of the days sis Gorkavenko and I worked with one of our zone leaders. And we contacted into a man who is a taxi driver at the bus stop near where we live. And we got his contact information and gave him a book of mormon. And then the next to days as we walked to catch a bus, I saw him two times sitting in his taxi, and reading the book of mormon. It was kinda cool to actually see the process and see him read and do what he said he would.
This week we got a new investigator. And in slang missionary terms, you would probably call her our "golden" investigator. She has so many questions and wants to know about so many things, but she just soaks in everything we say and believes with all her heart that God answered her prays when she found us. I too believe that God heard her prayers and answered them. She says she has been searching for a very long time for the right church, and everyone she goes to just doesn't seem right. And then she met us, and she says she doesn't need to go searching anymore. so our first lesson with her was this past sunday, and i felt the spirit so strong there. It was wonderful. I don't know why, but it was one of the first times that I really felt the spirit that strong on my mission in a lesson, and when it finally kinda clicked in my head what we are doing as missionaries. How we are truly representatives of Christ, and how this gospel is truly for everyone. It was a good experience, and we pray everyday that she will have the strength to overcome her challenges, and that she will continue to turn to the Lord.
So last week just after i sent you the email, one of the ward members cut my companions hair. And I decided to have her cut mine too!! haha, again right? im sure you think i am crazy. But our leaders here have really been focusing on be very professional and good looking, and if my hair was long enough, I would always just put in up in a ponytail. So i decided to cut it short enough so that I don't do that anymore. It is like that short a-line bob cut that I had when i was in my first year of college. I am very sad that i don't have long hair anymore, but this is good too. I think i have finally accepted the fact that my hair is thin and i don't have very much (a lot has fallen out here for some reason) and that sometimes long hair is just a hard thing for me to do. My hair will never be long and beautiful and thick like some people you meet (ange....) but, im learning to like my own hair and just do with it what ya gotta do. im sure you liked that little spill about hair there. Speaking of looking professional. The missionary department has come out with completely new dress standards for the sister missionaries. Remember the pictures they had in the pamphlet before? well now the clothes are so cute!! and you can wear bright colors and be a lot more in style! And your skirts just have to cover the knee when you sit down. I really wish maybe i would have known this and i could have just brought clothes from home, and not spent so much time looking for long skirts and clothes that don't draw to much attention. Big Sigh...oh well.
Well family and friends, I think that is about it for this week. I always have lots of things to write, but somehow i always forget at least some of them. Im sure I left something out today. oh well. But i love you all and pray for you always! Please keep doing what's right, and noelle get better! I know that this work is the work of the Lord, and that even though at times He calls His weak ones to do the work, He will strengthen us. I know that as we put our trust in Him, that the work will be done, little by little, step by step, He will move the work along through us all. And this is not just for the full time missionaries. We all have a part in this missionary work. Every member of this church can help move the work along. Through our examples and sharing the word with neighbors and friends, we all have a great part in this marvelous work. I love you all! and keep up the good work!!
ps...it has been cooling down a little bit here, and so I had to buy some boots. I only wanted to buy one pair for both fall and winter, but i was told by everyone here that it is best to get a pair for the fall (kinda like the boots we wear in utah in the winter) and then get a really super duper warm pair for the winter. So, i finally broke down and bought some boots for the fall and spent more money than i would have hoped on them, but they should be very good quality so I am glad about that. And I hope they last a long time. They better! The people here are really intense about their boots and winter gear. I never knew buying boots was so difficult. In utah if they look cute you buy them, they don't really need to be uber warm because you'll probably be in a car or in a heated room the whole day. But here the boots have to be waterproof, comfortable, big enough to wear socks with if you need but small enough if you don't need to wear socks that day, warm, durable, long-lasting, and of course good-looking too. Who knew shoe shopping could be so stressful! well it was more stressful to me than i would have hoped, and it was in Russian. The ladies there were asking me questions about how they felt when i put them on and blah blah blah, and I didn't understand a word. So i just stared at them and had my companion translate for me into easier russian words that she knew i would know. But, it was fun too. And now i know how shoe shopping is done in russia. And I have a nice lookin pair of sleak boots too! D-man, I think you would be proud of me. When i tried them on, i thought "hmm...now if dallin were here, would he approve of me wearing these as a sister missionary? yes, Yes! I think he would!" haha. my new motto...WWDD (what would Dallin do?)
с любовью,
Сестра Браун

No comments:

Post a Comment