Thursday, October 8, 2009

be a little better

Can i just say that I LOVE general conference weekends! Not only do I get to listen to the divinely inspired words spoken by the prophets and apostles, but I also had the blessed opportunity to spend the conference weekend with my awesome family. I LOVE family! Here are a few of the most enjoyable things that happened while being at home this past weekend...

1) I got to have a sleepover with my younger sister, in my old room
2) I woke up saturday morning to the smell of delish food, and my dad had cooked us all eggs and his healthy waffles
3) I got to be in the presence of my family while watching general conference
4) I went on a run with my sister
5) Me and my siblings took a total of 3 grocery store trips to the new wal-mart right down the street, ha
6) I got to cook in the kitchen with my family and prepare yummy reciepes that I learned through my foods class
7) I finally did my laundry
8) My brother and sister-in-law also came to play
9) We all roasted marshmellows and made smores in the fire pit outside
10) We set up the tent in the backyard and attempted to have a fun sleep there until the rain and wind came...
11) I got to help decorate the house with all mom's fall decorations
12) I got to play the piano, which was just recently tuned...and sang songs with my sister-in-law
13) I helped mom do some cleaning
14) not a single bit of schoolwork was done throughout this time!!
so all in all, it was a wonderful relaxing and enriching weekend. one of the best.

I greatly enjoyed the topics talked about in conference this october. Those of love and service. One of my favorite talks was by Elder Bednar. I loved his challenge to not only express our love to our families more often in word, but also in our actions. He emphasied the importance of family scripture study, family prayer, and family home evening. He related these three things to being, "the brushstrokes on the canvas of our souls".

Through listening to and pondering on the talks given this conference weekend, I became very grateful for the loved ones that I have in my life. For those who support, encourage, serve, and love me on a daily basis. For family and for friends. I came out with a greater resolve to be that type of person myself. To be a better friend, a better sister, a better daughter, a better example...always striving to be more like my loving Savior, Jesus Christ. I want to wake up every morning with a smile on my face, realizing that everyday is a brand new day, and challenging myself to do a little better and be a little better than the day before. To serve more and love more. To share the peace, joy, and happiness that I have gained through the truths of the gospel with ALL those around me.

2 comments:

  1. Love the post Acacia! Although I don't see how you could become a better friend! You are already one of the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. acacia. you are the best. how uplifting! i hate not living with you, i miss you so much! love ya.

    ReplyDelete