Tuesday, August 31, 2010

One Fine Day

Hello Family!!
Wow, how fun it was to see those cute pictures of the cute kids at the pool. My fav was of all of them and joe is all excited and doing the little peace out sign with his hands. who taught him how to do that?? wow, i kinda feel like those little babies have all grown up and i don't even know them anymore. I am glad everyone had a wonderful week though. And man dman and ange, you are just the partiers arn't you? That article about terence was good. thanks for sending it. That is one thing i will def miss this fall...seeing my awesome bros play some sweet football. And mom and dad. Everything sounds like it is going well and for that i am glad. I continue to pray that you both will be happy and enjoy your jobs and that everything will turn out.
Well this week was another pretty good one. Saturday evening they had a little activity for pioneer day. And dad, im not quite sure why they had it now. Maybe they just couldn't do it on the 24th or something. i don't know. People here don't know much about the history of the pioneers, so brother and sister lowry put most of it on for everyone. And as the missionaries we helped and the picture is us after we acted out a story of indians and bro. lowry's pioneer ancestors. I think the ward members that were there enjoyed it. Monday and tues. were both days that president was here and we had training all day. We were trained in this new program or whatever you would call it that the missionary department is putting out. It was good and we had a lot of practice, and we are ready to put it to work. We continue to work with our investigators, and as we do so we pray we can work with the spirit as we invite others to come unto Christ and be baptized.
This week has kinda been a harder week for me as far as the language goes. I don't know for some reason it just kinda goes like that. One week your feelin pretty good, and then one week it's just a hard one. And then you try so hard and then people on the streets tell you you can't talk. That always puts a little damper on things too. But, i continue to pray that with time my language skills will continue to improve. I assume too that my personal language study is not as good as it could be, i just don't know where to start! Having a russian companion has helped me a ton because it has forced me to speak, and for that i am very grateful!! Some times i feel like i am starting all over again, like in elementary school. I remember i was always very quiet and never liked to talk and was always nervous and always worried about what was coming out of my mouth. As time went on and especially when i went to college, i felt like i had overcome that. And now, learning a new language, i feel like it has started all over again! Like it takes a lot of courage to just say something in Russian. In lessons i always want to make sure that i am saying things correctly. But i know that as i just open my mouth it will come, whether its understandable or not. I know that the Lord just wants me to open my mouth, and even if I am not understandable, I know that the people we are teaching will be able to feel the spirit. It is very hard to just open up and express myself too. I didn't learn those kinda words in the mtc, haha, only gospel words. Sometimes it can get so frustrated trying to explain myself that i just think "ahhhhh...is anyone around that i can just have a conversation in english with?!" BUT...enough of the complaining...its all good. And i know i am not the first or the last person that will feel that way trying to learn the russian language. I just gotta keep moving forward and taking everything one day at a time, one baby step at a time.
I just asked my companion what happened this week that i can write more about. We can't really think of much. But, i do kinda have a funny (and to me kinda sad) story for the week. It happened yesterday. Yesterday all together was just a WEIRD day. But anyways, the story is that i went to get my haircut. And i came out wanting to cry. I have been wanting to grow my hair out, because i have never really done that before, and it was like honestly one of my goals. I told myself ok, i am finally gonna grow my hair out. i can do this. And it was finally getting kinda long for me, and i was very excited. And mom, you know how slow my hair grows, and I was just really proud of myself for getting it that long. And so we went and i couldn't explain in russian why i only wanted a little taken off and my whole reasoning behind it, but i just told her that i wanted a tiny bit taken off. Well, she decided that i would look better with a different haircut. So i took my glasses off and couldn't really see what she was doing, but after a while i noticed she just kept on cutting and cutting and cutting. And i didn't know what to say to get her to stop without hurting her feelings or being rude. So she just kept cutting and cutting. And ended up taking off like 5 more inches than i wanted. And not only that, my hair is now like 3 different lengths, with the shortest length in the front and the longest in the back. My companion says that she honestly thinks it looks really good. But i just wanted to cry. I can barely put it in a ponytail, and i can't braid it anymore. All that hard work, gone. And with my hair, it is gonna take forever to grow it out so that i can cut it all off at one length again, so it doesn't have these layers that greatly enhance my already round face. I was very sad about it yesterday. But im tryin to get over it. My hair is just very precious to me, haha, and i wanted all that i could get. Because ever since i have been in russia, my hair has actually started falling out. Every day my hair is less and less, and i think now it is actually about half the thickness it was before. crazy right. I just keep praying it won't all fall out. And if it does i guess i could find a wig somewhere! So that is my funny story for the week. And if i come home with no hair, just don't be alarmed, ok!!!?
Well family, i love you. Keep up the good work and you all are wonderful. I continue to pray for you all and hope everything is working out. I love you, i miss you, and can't wait to hear from you again next week. And remember: say your prayers, read your scriptures, go to church, attend the temple, have family home evening, etc. Just remember to keep doing those things that keep us on the straight and narrow, and keep the spirit in our daily lives. I love you!! until next week!
With all my heart,
Sister Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment